A weekly Spotify playlist of all bands reviewed/interviewed/mentioned on Punksburgh.com from 06.20.17-06.26.17
Not on Spotify:
- Bed Sore – Clocked Out
- Frustrate – Watch You Die
- Möwer – W.L.F.B.
- Buried in Hell – This Emergency Room is going to need an Emergency Room
- Billy Pilgrim – Sucker Punch
- Killer of Sheep – PAWNS
- Super Fun Time Awesome Party Band – Theme II
- The Jasons – I Wanna Be An Asshole
- Clownvis Presley – Catch that Son of a Bitch
- Orvill Rex – She’s Built
- Holey Soles – Autumn Leaves
- Subourbon Son – Drivin’ Me Away
- Weird Paul Petroskey – i Got Drunk at Chuck E Cheese
- Cumplete Basturds – Party Party Rock N Roll
- Substitute for Quality – Burden of Proof
- Brazilian Wax – Grrrls to the Front
- Trash Bag – Toxic Wasted
- Blue Clutch – Come Alive
- Sun Hound – Stone Cold Rocky Road
- Lorenzo’s Oil – Back To The Future Medley
- Vytia – a_f1.6
- Reign Check – Metronome
- Soft Gondola – Six Eyes
- Samm Bones – Tall Glass of Whiskey
- Alpha Creeps – Alpha Creep
- Iris Creamer – Pink Pistol II
- Blak Rapp Madusa – My Hidden Colors
- Sound Elevator – Magnetic Star
- Jenny Morgan – Brings Me Back Around
- AllegrA – cuties
- The Rents – Swing
- Bitter Whiskers – Golden State
- Tina Panic Noise – Color No. 695
- Rue – It Could Be You
- Legendary Hucklebucks – Run Devil Run
- The Jasons – American Slasher
- Mickey and the Snake Oil Boys – Who I Am
- Evad & The Ominous Squad – If Only For Tonight
- The Homisides – King Of The Boards
Returning from Boston, Pittsburgh native Dori Cameron made the trek home to grace Ladyfest 2017 with her ethereal voice. Performing originals from her EP Violent Muse, many of Cameron’s lyrics are born of personal experiences – such as her tracks “Come What may” and “Soul Crimes.” Listening to her clear voice over the raw mic at Hambone’s, one can feel the emotions of longing and hope behind her meaningful lyrics.
The weekend is upon us again and this Friday brings your last chance to get out and rock during the month of June! Let Punksburgh be your guide…
Honey ‘Mock Pop’ CD Release Party
9 p.m. / Spirit (downstairs) / $5
Honey, the trio of Monroeville rockers, release their full-length album on Wild Kindness Records with support from local dirty garage punkers Bat Zuppel and noisy post-punk favorites Derider. You can taste-test the new album ‘Mock Pop’ on The Grey Estates here.
After a long day of Ladyfesting on Friday (see my coverage of The Shop and Gooski’s), I went back out again on Saturday to catch more music at Cattivo. Both the upstairs and downstairs stages were running, meaning that the music never stopped.
Kicking things off upstairs was traveler Samm Bones. Some of you may be familiar with her, as she lived in the city last year until she got the itch to move on. She alternated between banjo and keyboard for her songs, and took a break in the middle to read a passage from her travel memoir, “Heavy Metal Meditations.”
Shows at The Rex Theater are always an experience. Most recently, I attended the Johnny and the Razorblades show there on 06.24.17 with support from Mama’s Madness, Cynimatics, and Upon Rocket. Honestly, I only knew half of the ticket, so I was looking forward to a new experience. I like to be surprised with what I find on an unknown ticket.
First up was a surprise addition to the ticket, Stephanie Kong.
Pittsburgh City Paper has just opened up nominations for its Best of Pittsburgh 2017 Readers Poll! You can now nominate your (or your favorite) band and venue! Nominations will be accepted now through July 19th. Public voting, the Round 2 part, will begin on July 28th and continue through August 18th.
The Basic Rules:
• You can only nominate once per day per category.
• The Best Of Pittsburgh ballot log-in system is separate from the rest of pghcitypaper.com.
• All completed nominations are subject to verification by our staff.
• City Paper reserves the right to disregard multiple ballots that are sent from the same IP address.
The Categories: (click link for submission form)
BEST POP/ROCK BAND
BEST METAL BAND
BEST ALT-FOLK/ALT-COUNTRY BAND
BEST JAZZ/BLUES BAND OR PERFORMER
BEST MUSIC FESTIVAL
BEST LOCAL MUSIC VENUE
BEST PLACE TO SEE A LOCAL BAND
BEST PLACE TO DANCE
We do have a preference in ONE category. Show us some love and write in Punksburgh for BEST LOCAL BLOGGER!
And if you’re REALLY serious about getting on the ballot, you can find campaigning tools here.
Last year’s winners included Nevada Color, Dethlehem, The Armadillos, The Justin Fabus Band, & Phat Man Dee,
We persuaded Tim Little, currently drumming in Playoff Beard, Nightmarathons, Lansbury, The Shutouts, and probably four other bands, to come out of the shadows and answer our questions.
Tim with Playoff Beard
After witnessing five solid performances at The Shop, I headed over to Gooski’s to continue my night of Ladyfesting.
Ladyfest 2017 kicked off Friday night at The Shop in Bloomfield. By the time I arrived at 7:10, this DIY venue already boasted a sizable crowd. Based on the demographics (teenage girls and parental types), I could tell that many were there to see opening band WolfBlud.
WolfBlud. I wish I were that talented when I was their age. Or now, to be honest.